Joint Degrees

Joint Degrees are granted in conjunction with another accredited university. Coursework from both institutions count toward the degree and both institution names appear on the degree.

Step 1:  Department and College Authorization to Proceed

Prior to initiating any such joint venture, it is important to secure authorization from both the academic department and the college to explore such an option. What authorization is needed will vary depending on the department and college. Faculty members are advised to first consult with their department heads.

Step 2:  Identify the Foreign University Partner

To identify whether there is an existing institutional agreement between Texas A&M and a specific institution abroad, please check the International Partnership Database.  Expanding the relationship Texas A&M has with an existing partner institution abroad is sometimes easier than trying to build a new relationship.

Faculty interested in exploring such options should consult their college representative. For general questions about how to expand existing partnerships or create new ones, please contact Traci Lacy at (979) 845-3099 or tlacy[at]

Step 3:  State and Accrediting Agency Authorization

This type of degree requires authorization on campus as well as from both the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC)External authorizations from both the THECB and SACSCOC may be required prior to implementation and obtaining both can take considerable time. 

Curricular Services in the Registrar’s Office, is the best resource to assist departments with understanding the appropriate processes and their potential timelines.