Dual Degrees

Completed coursework counts for degrees at two accredited universities and students receive diplomas awarded from each university, separately.

Step 1:  Department and College Authorization to Proceed

Prior to initiating any such joint venture, it is important to secure authorization from both the academic department and the college to explore such an option. What authorization is needed will vary depending on the department and college. Faculty members are advised to first consult with their department heads.

Step 2:  Identify the Foreign University Partner

To identify whether there is an existing institutional agreement between Texas A&M and a specific institution abroad, please check the International Partnership Database Expanding the relationship Texas A&M has with an existing partner institution abroad is sometimes easier than trying to build a new relationship.

Faculty interested in exploring such options should consult their college representative. For general questions about how to expand existing partnerships or create new ones, please contact Traci Lacy at (979) 845-3099 or tlacy[at]tamu.edu.

Step 3:  State and Accrediting Agency Notification or Authorization

This type of degree will require authorization on campus. Prior to implementation, it may also require notification or authorization from both the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).  

Curricular Services in the Registrar’s Office is the best resource to assist departments with understanding the appropriate processes and their potential timelines.