University Rankings World-wide
There are a number of international ranking systems, each using its own criteria to determine positions. Below are three of the most highly respected international ranking systems. Charts with Texas A&M University in comparison to Vision 2020 peers are also available below.
Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU):
- Compiled and published by the Center for World-Class Universities at Jiao Tong University in Shanghai.
- Growing in international prominence, Jiao Tong University’s data examines the number of Nobel Prizes and Field Medal winning alumni and staff, number of highly cited researchers by Thomson Scientific, number of articles published in journals of Science and Nature, number of articles indexed in the Social Science Citation Index, number of articles in the Social Citation Index -Expanded, and per capita performance and institution size. AWRU does rankings by "field" (Natural Sciences and Mathematics, Engineering/Technology and Computer Sciences, Life & Agricultural Sciences, Clinical Medicine and Pharmacy, and Social Sciences) and "subject" (Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Computer Science, and Economics/Business). Each of these is searchable in the web address listed below. AWRU’s current world rankings are released annually in August.
- AWRU Comparison of Texas A&M and Vision 2020 Peers within this ranking
QS World University Rankings (QSWUR):
- Compiled and published by Quacquarelli Symonds Ltd., headquartered in London, a private global corporation specialized in higher education services.
- Universities complete an annual survey for QSWUR from which QS receives approximately 40,000 responses; for some institutions, QS uses third party sources or university open source information. QS utilizes key pillars to rank universities which include research, teaching, employability, and internationalization. The methodology includes distinctive indicators: academic reputation, employer reputation, faculty to student ratio, the number of citations per faculty, international faculty, and international students. QS also uses trend data on ranking positions, raw data used behind the ratings, and a variety of other metrics. QSWUR's focus is in five large subject areas.
- QS's world rankings are released annually in the last quarter of the year and can be viewed in the web address listed below:
Times Higher Education Supplement (THES):
- THES is published in the United Kingdom and is considered one of the top three ranking systems in the world in terms of number of people who read and use ranking systems.
- Primarily important to UK readers, universities are judged by thirteen indicators grouped into five areas: teaching, knowledge transfer, research, citations, industry income, and international outlook. Starting in 2015, THES is collecting data through University surveys and draws from Elsever's Scopus database for academic publication citations. THES's current world rankings can be found in the web address listed below:
- THES Comparison of Texas A&M and Vision 2020 Peers within this ranking
- Subject area rankings are provided for arts and humanities; clinical, pre-clinical and health; engineering and technology; life sciences; physical sciences; and social sciences. These may be found at the link above.
U-Multirank University Rankings:
- Unlike other ranking systems, this one does not show numerical rankings. Instead, the system is designed to be more interactive and comparative, giving grades of A (Very Good), B (Good), C (Average), D (Below Average) and E (Weak) in various categories. The new rankings are released annually in May.
- U-Multirank has both university level rankings and subject area rankings. Not all subjects are ranked every year. The current subject areas include biology, business studies, chemistry, computer science, economics, chemical engineering, civil engineering, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, production/industrial engineering, history, mathematics, medicine, psychology, social work, and sociology.
- The subject rankings may be viewed in the web address listed below:
- U-Multirank Comparison of Texas A&M and Vision 2020 Peers within this ranking